Monday, July 4, 2011

Stand




Today is July 4th and all over this great country we are celebrating with road races, parades, watermelon eating contests, family cookouts, and then closing the day with spectacular fireworks displays.

I wonder how many Americans celebrating really think about the meaning of this day and the significance of living free as an American. I know I am guilty of what I am speaking to, and it bothers me.

Yesterday at church I noticed how few people placed their hand over their heart as the flag was brought out and the soldiers marched by, as our national anthem played.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a church of wonderful, giving people. It just seemed sad to know that they either were ignorant to this tradition of honor given to our flag, or we have lost something that once was so special and sacred.

My husband, a veteran, immediately placed his hand over his heart, and I know within that auditorium there were many soldiers, veterans, and citizens doing the same.

So today I write to remind us of this honor given to our flag, our symbol of this great country and the freedom it represents and the many sacrifices our countrymen gave to keep her flying.

Remember the veteran of war, and how that nonchalant attitude would make them feel- or the parent, spouse, or child who grieves when they look at the empty chair at their dinner table today. Show compassion. Think, what if that were your loved one?

I know this country is not perfect. Neither are we. Only God. Sadly, in my opinion, as God is being erased from our government foundations, so creeps in our insidious complacency.

Love of country, love of God becomes a slogan that will continue to fade from the hearts and minds of Americans, if we let this continue.

Teach your children today the story of why we celebrate the birthday of our country. Tell them of the great sacrifice wrought by brave men and women that stood up for something-- for love of country and love of God.

It has been said that to fail to stand for something is to fall for anything. Stand proud today, with deliberate purpose, hand on heart and show others that you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment