Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Daughter, My Self

My daughter Rose and I share a gift. We both love to write. She wrote this moving and poetic letter to me; I found it on her dressing table after she left for college a few days ago. This summer was probably the last one she will come home for; next summer she will be an upcoming Senior and wants to stay in California working on her film studies.

Oh, the blessing of a daughter- how I love her so much. So much that I encourage her to follow her dreams; to know who she is in Christ, and to use the gifts and talents he placed in her soul. Even if it takes her across the country and beyond. The last thing I said as she prepared to drive away was this- " The most important thing in life I want for you, is to be happy and to share that happiness. To be the light."

Fly high my butterfly. Give much. Thank you for being you. A  little like me, and a lot like YOU.
As it should be.

She writes-

August 21,2011

Dear Mom,
This has been such a wonderful summer. I have been reminded daily how blessed I am. 
From the very beginning of summer we got to go on an adventure together. You and I visited 
New England for the the first time together.

I am so happy you have been with me all my life through out many first times. First day of real school (kindergarten), first day of high school, first learners permit, first move to college, first trip outside of the U.S., and first trip to Miami.

I thank God for giving me a mother who listens, loves, laughs, cries, and talks with me. I am truly blessed to have you and I know you will be with me for many more firsts.

Every change in life is an adventure- no matter how difficult. There will be many mountains, valleys, and deserts, but we must explore these times and find the beauty in them all.

I never like saying goodbye, but I find comfort in knowing that I will always have a home to come back to with you. No matter what comes our way, we cannot let anything rob us of the love and joy we share as mother and daughter.

Like the words I heard in a song recently- " the pain that you've been feeling, is just the hurt before the healing. It's just the dark before the morning."

I'm going to leave you with the poem I read to you this morning. I'll write it on the back of this paper. Remember to BELIEVE in God's power, ACT on His commands, and PRAISE Him daily.


I love you! 
Rose

Trouble Is a Stepping Stone to Growth


Trouble is something no one can escape,

Everyone has it in some form or shape-
Some people hide it way down deep inside,
Some people bear it with gallant-like pride,
Some people worry and complain of their lot,
Some people covet what they haven’t got,
While others rebel and become bitter and old
With hopes that are dead and hearts that are cold-
But the wise man accepts whatever man sends,
Willing to yield like a storm-tossed tree bends,
Knowing that God never makes a mistake,
So whatever He sends they are willing to take -
For trouble is part and parcel of life
And no man can grow without trouble and strife,
And the steep hills ahead and high mountain peaks
Afford man at last the peace that he seeks -
So blest are the people who learn to accept
The trouble men try to escape and reject,
For in OUR ACCEPTANCE we’re given great grace
And courage and faith and the strength to face
The daily troubles that come to us all
So we may learn to stand "straight and tall" -
For the grandeur of life is born of defeat
For in overcoming we make life complete

By: Helen Steiner Rice

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a tribute to you, MOM! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To God be the glory, great things He has done.

    ReplyDelete