Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Lukewarm



Revelation 3:15-20

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 


I love taking hot relaxing baths at the end of the day, but disappointment sets in when I come back and find I've drawn a tub full of lukewarm water! Occasionally, I will in rote memory set the water, and not really test the temperature, leaving it to run while I set out to do something else. Arriving back and finding my bath is lukewarm and worthless I have to start over.. such a waste of water, and time, to draw another bath. Complaining to myself... had I just taken the time to be attentive to the task, instead of running off impatiently to do something else... I would now be enjoying a good long soak.

Jesus, in the book of Revelation, is speaking to the church in Laodecia regarding his plans for lukewarm Christians who want to straddle the fence of living for riches and fame, over living a life of honor to Christ, having love and compassion for other's. I write this cautionary reminder, not out of condemnation, but out of that same love for other's- for I know the way of losing God's favor for a season of selfish living... it is devastating for the Christian. But I also rejoice in verses 19-20- knowing He loves us so much he never leaves..

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come inand eat with that person, and they with me.

The book of  Revelation is a priceless look inside the glorious plans God has for the faithful, and valuable insight into His expectations for right living- from now until that day comes when He calls us home. We who follow in "The Way" need to take the time daily to stay focused, to check our temperature, to drink of the living water (God's word), refusing to allow lukewarm living to takeover our faith walk.. 

This is the final hour, and for some the last chance at seeing God through the passion of Christ. If He spits you out it will be like the bathwater going down the drain to the sewer. You are still water, and of great value, but to de deemed worthy, will have to go through a rigorousness process of  restoration- at least for a while, until your treatment is complete- and in time you become fresh and vibrant again, stamped and labeled by God's own hand -redeemed, worthy, renewed by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Peace and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment