Friday, September 17, 2010

God Moments


Remembering Mom

I found a side note in my God Calling devotion book today, one I had written in ink over a year ago, next to that day's devotion.. I often write a note of gratitude back to God after reading a message that strikes a chord within my spirit, one that resonates deep in my soul, or to record what I call a "God Moment."  These God moments I define as a -divine space in time- in which I know God is talking to me, sharing a truth, a blessing, a revelation, or a response to a prayer request. This particular side note was thanking Him for just one of those "God Moments".

It was last Sept. 6, a day I began like many days with a walk around my little town..up the hill from my house I walk, down along the Dogwood lined streets dotted with old homes and churches. past the historic town square, and coffee shops, until I arrive at my favorite stop..the old cemetery perched on a hill with a view of the mountains of North Georgia in the distance.
Here is where I come -my halfway point- here is where I take time to slow down and enjoy the peace and quiet. The tombstones, and the lives of souls buried here give me a deeper appreciation for life and death as I read the inscriptions on the markers. There are some beautiful verses etched in marble and stone. So many saints that have passed on to glory. Here I pray, and reflect on the meaning of my own life, now passing by so quickly- it seems- as I travel back and forth in my memories.


That day I was thinking of my Mom who has also passed on and is now with the Lord. I sat down on a stone wall and  I did something I rarely do- I asked her to send me a little sign- one that would let me know she sees me from her heavenly realm, and is watching over me. I don't do this very often; I know my faith is not based on signs and wonders- even though I have had plenty- my faith is grounded in Christ Jesus and the word of God. It was just a moment of missing her I suppose.

Later that evening before sleep, lying in bed in prayer, I remembered feeling a little disappointed that I didn't receive my sign, but as I drifted off to sleep there was a feeling of peace that erased this instantly. The next morning I opened my God Calling book to read the daily devotion and instantly I remembered  that I had forgotten to read the devotion from the previous day. I turned back to it first, and there it was, My Sign, My God Moment! When I read the title of the devotion there was no mistake in God's intent to show me he hears me, and I know the Holy Spirit prompted me to look back, or else I would have missed this moment.

Here is what I read, here is what God said-

*********************************************************************************

September 6

Your Loved Ones


Your loved ones are very safe in My keeping. Learning and loving and working, theirs is a life of happiness and progress. They live to serve and, and serve they truly do. They serve Me and those they love. Ceaselessly they serve.

But their ministrations, so many, so diverse, you see no more than those in My time on earth in human form could have seen the angels who ministered unto Me in the wilderness.

How often mortals rush to earthly friends who serve them in so limited a way, when the friends who are freed from the limitations of humanity can serve then so much better, understand better, protect better, plan better, and even plead better their cause with me.

You do well to remember your friends in the Unseen. Companying with them the more you live in this Unseen World the gentler will be your passing when it comes. Earth's troubles and difficulties will seem, even now, less overwhelming as you look, not at the things that are seen but at the real, the Eternal Life.

"And this is Life Eternal that we may know Thee, the Only True God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent."

Learning to know Me draws that Kingdom very near, and in Me, and through knowledge of Me, the dear ones there become very near and dear.

(excerpt taken from September 6 devotion in "God Calling")

*********************************************************************************

Beyond the beauty of the devotion I saw another layer of how God works in his perfect timing,You see, God already knew I was going to miss my daily reading, and that on my walk I would ask for this reassurance of Mom's divine existence. How that devotion happened to be on the same day I would ask for a sign of Mom's heavenly existence is beyond my realm of earthly reasoning. All I know is that if I had read the devotion and then later asked for the same sign in the cemetery- the God moment would have been missed-. all things had to play out the way they did. Do you see this believers? This is how it works in the unseen world of the spirit.

Praise God for revelation, and giving me sight to see. He always delivers more than what I ask for. Always.
God sees, hears and knows, just what we need before we ask.

I loved how He said that our loved ones plead for us and that we are wise to keep company with them. This brought happy tears, and and reassurance that my Mom,  is very busy doing wonderful things in Heaven. I am so thrilled as well, to know God desires for me to spend more time in prayer, remembering Mom.


for Mom-

I Love You. I miss you.
Your middle daughter, your sometimes aloof child, drawing near to God and to you.
Lynn Anne
09/17/2010

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful is that!?! Don't you love the ways God does answer you? It might not be in 'our' time but He always answers! Great post!!

    Oh, just wanted to let you know to check out my other blog, My Mad World on Monday, I have something for you!! =)

    www.madmomma07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful and faith building. I came here by a link on Janet's blog that she shared with us for Spiritual Sundays. Thank you for sharing this experience so she could share it with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a little confused. It was Nicole who linked your post, not Janet. So I'm thankful to Nicole, and to you.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so beautiful and I am so sorry that you lost your mom--you are so young...I am so sorry that she is gone but I am glad that she is with the Lord...and I pray that gives you peace knowing that she is with Him in eternity.
    Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Cindy for your sweet comment and yes it is with great joy that I know she is with the Lord. We will be reunited when He calls us home. All believers will share in the inheritance. Amen

    ReplyDelete